Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yesterday the 3 generations that make up our household went on an adventure to the punkin patch. We decided to go to Halter, Inc.'s patch this year because it was closer to home, smaller, and they are a non-profit providing therapy animals for special needs kids. We had a great time! Isabella went on two pony rides and acted like she had been doing it all her short life! Cows and goats in the petting zoo were well loved by her as she gave them all hugs and left the feeding to grammie and mommie. The best part was that it was small enough that I didn't get too tired, yet big enough that we all had a great time.

I am having a bit of a struggle today because it seems as though I should be feeling much better by now. It feels as though I am wearing a bra that is about 4 sizes too small! Was hoping to be off pain meds by now but not so much ready yet. I am trying to work on arm movements by stretching and reaching...seems to be helping. The whole chest area still feels like a major sunburn...mostly when I move.

Getting my head shaved this past week has been a rather freeing experience...almost thinking this might be the way to go after all this is over...easy care, no worries about your hair blowing into your eyes, shampoo lasts a really long time! There is no end to the benefits!!

I think Teri and I are going to try to do a little halloween decorating in the front yard this week. A friend is coming to help hang the decorations that require a ladder. It is a bit difficult getting into the mood for Halloween when it has been 90 this past week and we are expecting it again this week. Cool front coming this Wednesday -- for those who don't live in Houston that means we will be in the 80s. So those of you in the north, please send some fall-like weather our direction! Oh yeah...pumpkin carving tomorrow...can't wait because that also means roasting the seeds!!

Ok, so I don't recommend this as a weight-loss method, but I have lost about 17 pounds. I think about 10 from the surgery then the rest because I am not drinking sodas and eating reasonable portions...we also haven't been eating restaurant food nearly as much. Teri is cooking delicious, nutritious, healing meals for us and it has been AWESOME!! If the excess fluid that is sloshing around in my chest ever gets re-absorbed, maybe I will lose even more.

For those of my friends who are overweight, do yourself and your families a favor -- LOSE WEIGHT. Not for the looks but for all the risk factors. Did you know it is a risk factor for cancer? I didn't until I got cancer. I knew about diabetes and heart disease...but not cancer. While I make look and sound brave, or strong or whatever you want to say...you do NOT want to go through this. Do what you can to reduce your risk factors...eat right, exercise, and know your health. Ok...I'll get off my soapbox now.

So this week brings an echocardiogram. I am not scheduled to see my oncologist again until the 3rd but I am going to try to get in earlier so I can get the results of the PET scan. Will keep y'all posted!


Night...and Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment