Thursday, October 7, 2010

Yeastie Beasties and Other Tales

Went and saw one of my surgeon's partner's today. Because of my tape allergy and diabetes, I wanted them to check out the rash along the incisions to make sure everything was good. Truth-be-told, I was smelling the telltale odor of yeast around my incisions (gotta love diabetes!).

He did say it looks like there may be a bit of yeast overgrowth so to be on the safe side he prescribe a one-dose oral drug used for yeast infections. Hopefully that will nip it in the bud.

Other than that, everything is looking good. I am still draining too much to remove my drains (I affectionately call them "my friends" ... LOL). I'll see my surgeon on Monday still for the complete path report and perhaps get at least on of the drains removed.

The Dr. today did give me a "rushed" overview of the path report...you know, just enough to make me want my copy now so I can read and research my heart out some more! He didn't have the results of the low/high risk for spreading...I think the oncologist will have that one. From what I remember him telling me is that "the tumor" wasn't the only one in my right breast. I also had a patch of ductal carcinoma in situ (as opposed to invasive). Basically I had one that spreads and one that doesn't. He mentioned some other changes but I need to see the words to really digest it and then I will post it on here.

So, yesterday was one week since I went topless. A milestone I spent mostly napping. I am amazed that I felt better right after surgery than I do now (dead nerves work wonders for pain level!)...not that I feel that bad. the surprising part is that I had read about women feeling like they had "been hit by a truck then it parked on my chest." Needless to say I was happy that I didn't feel that way. WAS is the operative word in the last sentence. That woman's truck showed up at my chest! It isn't like from an abdominal incision...it is because everything is swollen and adjusting and it all just feels tight.

I did ask the doc about reaching and movements and he said that is actually a good thing to be doing...cool, I hate asking Teri to get things off the top shelf when she is shorter than I am! LOL

Have I mentioned that I really don't like waiting? The low/high risk test results are going to present me with some perplexing decisions to make (of course "my gut" will be playing a major role in the decisions). What will the results really mean anyway? If I went strictly by the numbers (by that I mean if my body followed the research and risk models), I wouldn't have had breast cancer...let alone triple neg. Would that mean that if I played by the rules (which I obviously don't) a "low" would mean I probably wouldn't need chemo and a "high" would mean I need to throw everything at it. Since playing by the rules isn't something I seem to be doing, it will be interesting to see how the results compare to reality.

Talking with Teri today -- have I mentioned how awesome she has been through all of this? -- and the doctor, I am concerned that some of the cells escaped through my bloodstream (yes, clear nodes are good but that isn't the only way cancer travels). This low/high risk test will only tell me the risk, not whether it has already spread. So I think regardless of that test, I will be pushing for scans to ensure there isn't anything else lurking out there and then have chemo regardless -- the cocktail may just be different.

Speaking of Teri...she and Isabella bought me a beautifl necklace with an angel wing and pink ribbon. I can't wait to wear it but am waiting until I can actually put it on and take it off myself (arms are a bit stiff for that movement). Thanks T!

I guess I must be healing because Abby is finally getting up and laying away from me. Up until today, she literally didn't leave my side...thank goodness my recliner is a chair and a half!!

Now for today's humor...I put the dogs in the yard while I was changing...Abby started barking so I walked out into the back yard with just my pants on and drains in hand. My first thought was that I walked out without my shirt...second thought was...so what! Kinda don't have anything to see.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment