Wednesday, October 6, 2010

GRAPHIC WARNING!!!

Alright...I don't think I will make it to the centerfold of Playboy, but I am ok with that. My first "topless" photos are being posted today. Teri is helping me document my progress through the journey of really nasty bruising and swelling back to "normal" (whatever that is!). The real question is...now that I don't technically have breasts, can I go shirtless in public? LOL...Whether I want to or not is another story.

I know there are many women out there who are very emotionally tied to their breasts...I am not one of them. I think it is important, for those of us who are willing, to share our story complete with photos. Maybe it will help lessen the trauma for everyone and help in the fight for awareness and finding a cure.
At the point of diagnosis, my feeling is that breasts become less about sex and more about being a body part. I want all my friends (yes, I said all and include men, women, and children) to know that it is ok to ask me questions, pass my name and email along to others who may need it, and even see the result (though the seeing will probably be photographic in nature for most -- though I am open to live 3-D in some cases because it is so different than looking at a photo.

One common question is if I am going to have reconstruction. For me, the answer is a simple one...No. This is a very personal choice and I have no issues with women who want reconstruction -- after all clothing fit is definitely going to be a challenge. Will I every wear falsies? Sure, there may be a time when it would be appropriate -- like in evening wear.

So, fair warning...there will be photos that some would consider graphic and there will be frank discussions.

On another note. I want to acknowledge a phenomenal group of people. A program called Good Wishes is lead by Laurie Ericksen...from their Web site:

"Good Wishes, an L. Erickson USA® program, provides a scarf or an It’s a Wrap to women and girls experiencing a thinning or loss of hair due to illness or treatment at no cost. Each scarf is a gift of hope that carries with it the support and good wishes of our staff and represents the strength and beauty of the woman or child who wears it. All Good Wishes gifts are made with CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements as a special symbol to honor your courage and spirit. L. Erickson USA® and France Luxe® are designer brands of the parent company The Finest Accessories® Inc."

I cannot say enough about this awesome program. Not only is the scarf I received absolutely beautiful silk, the love and support of all those involved in getting it to be is palpable. From the beauty of the silk, they workmanship, and the Swarovski Elements to the unexpected, hand-signed card with well-wishes from the staff at Good Wishes. I have included a photo of the card along with photos of the scarf. Please spread the word about this program...with both the financial and emotional cost of cancer, this is truly a welcome light! Their Web site is
http://www.franceluxe.com/i/goodwishesscarves/Good+Wishes+Scarves.html

I will be showering later and posting some updated pics tomorrow...Teri tells me the bruises look much better today. The rash from the tape is worse and the feeling is beginning to return to some areas.

Namaste.

Photos are posted on my caring bridge site at: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jandavidson/photos and on Facebook (if you are a friend on facebook).

No comments:

Post a Comment