Thursday, October 14, 2010

Surgeon and Oncologist post-surgery follow up

Wow...what a week! I had wanted to post an entry on Tuesday after seeing my surgeon on Monday...but then my oncologist called at 9pm Monday night to give me the results of the final pathology (this was the test to see if my tumor was low/high risk for metastisizing and/or recurring. First...the surgeon's visit...

Can I just say I really like my surgeon! Not only is he a skilled surgeon, he is compassionate, has a great bedside manor and a great sense of humor!!

The drains (affectionately known as my "friends") are still in but will be removed next Monday. They really aren't that bad so I was really ok with that. (As a side note...a post-surgical camisole with pockets for the drains is a MUST! The one day I wore a regular cami was the pits having to deal with the drains...with the cami, they have their little spot and all is right with the world). Best part of the appointment was when he said the pathology report was good. While there were some surprises (at least for me) there wasn't any boogie monsters that showed up. YEAH!! So I go see him in next Monday for drain removal (will miss my little friends -- not!) and a re-check of the yeastie beasties (yes, still dealing with that).

So, Monday was an awesome day...until 9pm when my oncologist called.

Dr. Holmes is awesome...how many doctors would call at 9pm to let you know the results of your tests? I was, after all, going to see her on Wednesday.

As good as the surgeon's news was, the oncologist's news wasn't. The tumor may be small but it is a nasty one. (the old "big things come in small packages" came to mind!) The tumor is a high risk tumor. This means that the chemo will need to be more aggressive than she originally was thinking just based on tumor size. So even though it is considered an "early cancer" and is small, it acts as a more aggressive larger tumor. Let me just say, if you or someone you know is going through this, request that they do a Mammaprint test to determine the risk.

This additional test enabled my doc to get me into a clinical trial for some new chemo "cocktails" for treating triple neg cancer. Had the Mammaprint not been done, the size of the tumor would have eliminated me from the trial. Never thought I would be excited about being a guinea pig!

The trial is looking at 3 different cocktails -- the standard of care (what is currently being used to treat triple negative breast cancer) and then two other variations. The great thing about cancer clinical trials is that you will as the least get the standard of care...but you may get one of the new cocktails that isn't yet available. Since triple neg falls into the 20 percent of the 80/20 rule and so has not had a lot of research done to determine good targeted therapies, I am excited to be part of the trial so that I can be whatever help in finding something that will mean a better prognosis for those of us with triple neg.

Next step is to get my PET scan to determine if there are any tumors elsewhere in my body. This could even further affect the chemo and the outcomes. Also will be having a cardiac echo to make sure my heart muscle is good because the chemo drugs can affect the heart. Beyond that, I am in the "healing phase" so will be healing for about another month before chemo starts. Some of the drugs cut off the blood supply to the tumors and will cut off the blood supply to the healing tissue (which would not be a good thing) so we need to make sure I am healed up before we start poisoning me.

Oh, I almost forgot, the official stage of the cancer is T1bN0 Stage 2. to decifer: T1b indicates the size as between 0.5 cm and 1.0 cm (mine was 1.0 cm) -- for those not versed in cm...that is a bit less than 1/2 inch. The N0 indicates the status of the lymph nodes, in my case the 0 means there is no involvement (I take the good news where I can get it!)

So, I am 2 weeks out from surgery and I am still taking pain meds including one for nerve pain.

Funny thing, the biggest thing on my mind is that I am going to need help decorating for the holidays!

Thanks again for all the great thoughts and prayers coming my way...it means a lot!!

Oh...I am posting some new pics today as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment