Saturday, October 2, 2010

Surgery

Had a bilateral mastectomy on the 29th of September. Surgery went well and the best news of all is that the lymph nodes were not involved at all -- YEAH!! The best part of that is that they didn't remove any so my pain level is really quite minimal...although I am taking the pain pills because I don't want to find out the hard way that it is more painful than what I think!

I wasn't sure what I would feel once I looked at my chest...meaning I wasn't sure if the drastic nature of the surgery would hit me at that point. There wasn't long to wait to find out...doctor came in the day after surgery and removed what bandage I had. Now there is just paper tape covering the wound...and then of course the drains. I suppose I would describe my chest as "lumpy" -- which the doctor said would eventually go away. It is one big bruise and is a bit concave. After wearing bras for 44 years, it is odd to be "flat chested"...but it really wasn't a shock to me.

My surgeon's partner came in yesterday to check me out for release. He asked why I had chosen bilateral since the cancer was only in one breast. I told him because of my triple negative status and his response was "That was a good choice then!" So good to have my decision re-affirmed.

Will see the doctor in a week and hopefully will have the drains removed...though they aren't as bad as I was expecting. It is like having temporary boobs at waist level. LOL!! For those of you wondering...I haven't yet lost much weight...I suppose part of that is because of the fluid still accumulating and the swelling. Will keep you posted as to how much boobs actually weigh (mine at least -- Dolly Parton's might be a WHOLE other story!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment