Monday, September 13, 2010

Surgical Consult

Surreal. Finally received the complete core biopsy results.

Diagnosis: INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA WITH APOCRINE FEATURES AND ASSOCIATED LYMPHOCYTIC INFILTRATE, INTERMEDIATE TO HIGH NUCLEAR GRADE, NOTTINGHAM HISTOLOGIC GRADE 2.

In addition to that diagnosis, the cancer is triple negative. That means that it is not receptive to estrogen, progesterone, or HER2.

What all that means: it is a more agressive cancer and there isn't a targeted therapy for it.

Saw a surgeon today...meeting with an oncologist on Wednesday. Will be scheduled for surgery soon and will post a date as soon as I know. I will be getting a double-mastectomy with chemo to follow.

So...that is from the logical side...now from the emotional side....

OMG...it is pretty surreal. My faith is strong and I truly believe that whatever the outcome...it is ok. While y'all pray for me, please also pray for my family -- that they have the strength and faith needed for the road ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Jan! I'm so sorry to hear about this. Stay strong and stay positive. A friend of mine in Austin just beat cancer -- it's doable!!! Let me know how I can help.

    xoxo, Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nothing but love to offer. Remember, whether we're on this side or the other, we'll get to look back and laugh and love with all that we've been through.

    ReplyDelete