Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reflections

Have you every looked around and and thought, "Wow, how did I get here?" From a shy, insecure young girl to an even more insecure young woman and then an epiphany at 28 that I do have worth. I have finally, in my 50s found my true self and my confidence. I am 1/2 way around the world from home on a lengthy business trip to Singapore, Australia, and Indonesia. Seeing and experiencing life in a way that I never dreamed...yet here I am and it isn't a dream.
For ALL that has happened in my life I give all thanks to God, for without Him, my life would have no meaning. Only He knows the plans he has for me and I will gladly follow. Nine years or so ago, I turned my life over to His control and I have not had a moment's regret or doubt. Although I haven't gone to church since being here, I certainly feel so close to God.

Sitting at a Starbucks in Singapore Sunday morning, a Buddist stopped, greeted me with "namaste" and gave me a card with Buddha on it (Asian writing on the back that I cannot read) and some prayer beads. I gave him $10 Sing (less than $7 US) and asked that he pray for peace. On his way he went. This was a remarkable experience for me for several reasons. First, that I view myself as a Zen Christian, next that I make prayer beads (www.quintessentialyou.com, and lastly that he didn't "preach" to me. In that moment, my prayer for peace was answered -- here were two people from different backgrounds and religion experiencing a blessed moment of grace and recognition of the spirit within each of us (that is what namaste means and why I use it often when closing emails).
Yes, I have done some sightseeing here in Singapore; however, my biggest adventure has been just observing the culture of this city/country. There are so many cultures that reside here and yet they seemingly co-exist peacefully. The most incredible thing is that English is the main language spoken here -- signs are in English first -- incredible when you think about being from the US and English isn't a national language for us. I marvel that I can be in some shops or a restaurant and I hear more English being spoken than I do when I am in Houston. Then there is school...every day I am more amazed at how much I am enjoying the experience. Our bodies are so incredible... Here is to family, good friends, and those that have been absent from our lives for far too long...Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment